Sunday, November 7, 2010

College Kitchen Blunder






2 weeks after i made a great pizza i went back into my spacious pantry to retrieve my jar of spaghetti sauce to make another pizza. Lo and behold my jar was bloated and the bottom was pushed out due to the inside pressure of the container. Upon further inspection i noticed small white dots on the inside of the the jar. Mold. Fungus. Whatever. So it went bad. My spaghetti sauce went bad. Dang it. I then chucked the jar in the trash can. After inquiring about this matter to several roommates i now know that spaghetti sauce is supposed to be refrigerated after opening. Who knew? I didnt. So i ended up using Carter's very very meaty sauce on our pizza. It was pretty good. Not like freaking amazing but it was aight ya know? So i threw it in the trash on a saturday 2 weeks after it was initially opened and the next day, sunday, we came home from church and what you see in the picture is what we got. Somehow the pressure had increased until it had blown the spaghetti sauce all over our humble apartment. Like a spaghetti powered rocket, the jar knocked over the trashcan and ended up in the adjacent room.

My theory is that now our apartment is covered with small spore like bacteria that infest all of our perishable food. Anything that is opened and left out goes bad in like 3 days its crazy. So most everything goes into the fridge now. Support to my hypothesis is that my grapefruit juice that ive left out is now bloated. I accidentally grabbed it and was thirsty so i just wrenched the lid off, the air hissed out loudly, and i swallowed a gulp. It tasted exactly like the smell of the rotten spaghetti sauce. Wierd. So we've left the grapefruit juice in the corner of the kitchen and are waiting for it also to explode. Alex and I are interested in the potential of this phenomenon as way to prank people and want to bring this down to a science where we can predict the time of ignition for the food. Just good future engineers I think.

3 comments: